Translate

Tuesday 27 May 2014

Starting a business -Busy bee

One thing I want to commit to is this blog. It is a great motivation to be successful knowing I may just inspire someone who is reading or watching. So forgive me for not posting anything in almost two weeks, I have been so so busy! 

As you may or may not know I have moved into my office, began working on designs for the first collection and ordering in bulk plain stock ready for printing. As of this week I will be working on the designs for a second collection and hopefully begin printing stock. I am not allowed to use the printing studio unattended until I do a supervised one day course which is fine but I have to wait til a space is available on that course! sigh...

The website is complete and will launch as soon as I have photography and videography ready for the first collection which I am going to be doing all myself. This is all a massive learning process, I feel like how i did when I began doing my art and design course in college, my heads just about ready to explode with creative ideas, and one thing i love in life is learning how to do new things, so as stressful as this time is and as much I complain about not being able to sleep. I can truly say I am loving every minute, i am one busy, but very happy bee.

Now as you can probably tell, I like to plan, over plan and do everything by the book. I have used the quote 'if you fail to plan you plan to fail' before, but unfortunately, we humans can't control everything. Sometimes God gets a little bit bored watching everything go smoothly and decides to nudge you with his little finger. Well that is exactly what happened to me. Nowhere in my budget did I have money put aside for a new PC, as far as I was aware I would continue using my laptop. Little did I know that this laptop is not compatible with ANY software that I need to run my business. Lo and behold I had to dig into my pocket and pay £700 CASH for a new PC. Luckily the PC was on offer for a limited time only so I did actually get a great bargain, but that was one of the most painful cash exchanges of my life. Seeing that money leave my hands and go into that til gave me flu like symptoms I had a headache, I felt sweaty... I would say 'ok I'm over-reacting' but... I'm not. 

So... what do you do if over a third of your start up budget disappears before you can say 'wait!' The answer? You hustle. To every problem is a solution my friends, the worst thing you can do is get down, start panicking and give up before you have even tried to figure it out. We are living in tough times, and most people don't have someone who could just lend them that money back. Ideally avoid borrowing any more then you had originally budgeted for yourself, but maybe that might be your only option. I on the other hand just could not have that as an option. I hate owing money, I could ask my family, but £700! I mean, really? I could become a stripper, no one would know...would they?...hmm. OK so that's a joke but HOW ON EARTH AM I GOING TO MAKE THIS MONEY BACK! 

I only had one option, to sell my most beloved material item. My 40" HD, 3D, Smart TV.... I love that lil baby. So I sold it for £700, bought a second hand 40" HD for £150, bargain I know. So I just about managed to be back where I was prior to buying the PC, OK I am short by £150 but my business set up is now back in full swing. 

I would love to write more, I have loads of stories, like the two Nigerian men that tried to scam me for my TV, I will save that story for another post. Be sure to visit my blog again, I will be posting a video very soon

Anyway, 
Until next time... x


No comments:

Post a Comment